Development Engineer Manager Job
Date: Sep 23, 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN, US
Req ID: 2014-13859
Location Name: NRG IDS Regional Office
Type: Full-Time Salary
# Openings: 1
Details About this Career Opportunity:
NRG is leading a customer-driven change in the U.S. energy industry by delivering cleaner and smarter energy choices, while building on the strength of the nation’s largest and most diverse competitive power portfolio. A Fortune 250 company, we create value through reliable and efficient conventional generation while driving innovation in solar and renewable power, electric vehicle ecosystems, carbon capture technology and customer-centric energy solutions. Our retail electricity providers serve almost 3 million residential and commercial customers throughout the country. More information is available at www.nrgenergy.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy
NRG Distributed Generation is an NRG business unit focused on building a portfolio of behind-the-meter energy generation systems to help commercial and industrial customers obtain reliable power with a sustainable footprint. The suite of offerings includes district energy, combined heat & power, fuel cells, and backup generation.
NRG is looking for an individual with electrical engineering background and relevant experience in one or more of the design, construction, project management and operation of electrical energy production and distribution systems for campus, large commercial, industrial or institutional facilities. This individual will provide engineering support for NRG’s distributed generation development team with respect to acquisition of existing and development of new distributed generation systems employing combined heat and power, fuel cells, and microgrids among others. This individual will also support research and development efforts in conjunction with other NRG departments and third party strategic partners to identify evaluate and commercialize the next generation energy production and utilization devices and monitoring and control systems. The successful candidate will meet or exceed the following qualifications:
Development and Operations Engineering Support
Assist Director of Engineering and Business Development Directors in completion of due diligence associated with securing budget approval for acquisition or design and construction of new distributed generation power projects. Key responsibilities would include:
- Participate in site visits to review and document condition of existing facilities and systems for potential existing facility acquisitions and identify and document technical issues associated with new system design and construction.
- Assist Business Development Directors in preparation of responses to requests for proposals for acquisitions and new projects.
- Assist with solicitation of proposals and selection of consulting engineers to assist with feasibility studies and preliminary engineering.
- Assist with completion of feasibility studies and preliminary engineering necessary to define project sufficiently to obtain budget approval utilizing in-house or external consultants as required.
- Review customer provided utility and equipment data in order to identify potentially feasible distributed generation technologies
- Run performance models to evaluate expected performance characteristics for selected technologies
- Work with outside equipment and system vendors and engineering consultants to develop project scope, budget and schedule
- Develop project Basis of Design (BOD).
- Support development of financial model
- Assist Project Managers with design and construction of approved projects. Key responsibilities would include:
- Review of design drawings
- Review of equipment bid packages and shop drawings.
- Assist Director of Engineering with review and analysis associated with continuous improvement process intended to drive down the cost of development and operation of deployed distributed generation technologies.
Provide technical assistance to General Managers and Asset Managers for existing dGen facilities with, investigations, improvements, and modifications to facility electrical systems.
- Assist Plant Managers and Plant Engineers with review proposed major repairs and capital improvements for application of proper engineering methods and standards.
- Assist Plant Managers and Plant Engineers in analyzing operational issues and improvements.
Special Projects Management:
Manage assigned research and development and other special projects intended to identify, evaluate or commercialize significant advancements in existing or development of the next generation of energy production, utilization devices and systems and the monitoring, control and optimization of such devices and systems.
- Conduct internal research
- Coordinate research and testing activities with external vendors and strategic partners
- Coordinate required resources across the NRG companies.
- Coordinate development of testing plans and protocols
- Manage approved budgets
- Prepare required status and project completion reports
The selected individual will preferably be located at NRG Distributed Generations regional office in downtown Minneapolis, MN. Consideration will be given to the selected individual being located in one of NRG’s other existing regional office locations or operating facilities.
NRG Distributed Generation develops projects throughout North America and the selected individual would be expected to travel to the project sites, design engineers offices, customer’s offices, or other necessary locations on a basis sufficient to ensure successful completion of the project. Travel of 3-5 days on a monthly basis would be considered typical.
The position will report to the Director of Engineering, Distributed Generation.
Salary & Benefits
This position would be a full time salaried position. NRG offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Education and Affiliations:
- BS or higher in Electrical Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) preferred but not required.
- Active member one or more engineering professional societies, IEEE, AEC, others as applicable a plus.
- LEED certification a plus.
Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working in one or more aspects of the design, construction, project management, and operation of electrical generation systems for utility, industrial or institutional projects. Direct experience in the areas of distributed generation, combined heat and power, fuel cells and microgrids a plus.
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of distributed generation production, utilization and control technologies.
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of electrical industry codes and construction practices.
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Power Point, Word and Outlook is essential; proven ability to adopt unfamiliar software tools preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, analytical and quantitative skills. Proven ability to manage consultants and designers preferred.
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated high achiever with ability to multi-task, perform duties in a collaborative working environment.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant’s experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Nearest Major Market: Minneapolis