Sr. Manager, Continuous Process Improvement Job
Date: Dec 7, 2014
Location: Houston, TX, US
Req ID: 2014-13713
Location Name: NRG Pavilions Corporate Office
Category: Retail Operations
Type: Full-Time Salary
# Openings: 1
Details About this Career Opportunity:
NRG is leading a customer-driven change in the U.S. energy industry by delivering cleaner and smarter energy choices, while building on the strength of the nation’s largest and most diverse competitive power portfolio. A Fortune 250 company, we create value through reliable and efficient conventional generation while driving innovation in solar and renewable power, electric vehicle ecosystems, carbon capture technology and customer-centric energy solutions. Our retail electricity providers serve almost 3 million residential and commercial customers throughout the country. More information is available at www.nrgenergy.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy
This Manager position will be responsible for managing the Continuous Process Improvement team which is focused on delivering cross-functional improvements to business processes and improving process performance. It will also include planning, budgeting, quality assurance, performance management, career development and special projects in the group.
- Manages a team of professional continuous improvement managers and process managers who are responsible for delivering improvements across the enterprise.
- Manages planning and execution of the continuous improvement projects', programs’, or portfolio's activities and resources to ensure that established cost, time, and quality goals are met.
- Provides hands-on team leadership and subject matter expertise in coaching, mentoring, and developing employees in the use of process improvement principles, methods, and techniques including Lean, Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints, and other applicable approaches.
- Develops and delivers Continuous Process Improvement training.
- Effectively interface with a wide variety of people both internally and externally to ensure service delivery that satisfies business strategy at lowest cost
- Assigns continuous process improvement professionals to approved improvement projects based on skills and availability
- Manages and delivers large-scale, cross-functional continuous improvement projects
- Coordinates and communicates with business process owners and IT teams that affect or are affected by customer operations processes.
- Drives "As-is” and “Future State” analysis to identify process improvement through exemplary process design/improvement/management skills using proven best practice techniques such as Lean Six Sigma or equivalent.
- Develops processes and procedures that increase the effectiveness and efficiency of Retail Operations.
- Collaborates with business managers and end users to define business requirements of proposed enhancements to existing processes, system changes or customer experience enhancements.
- Prioritizes process improvement projects based upon business case analysis, including financial measurement.
- Manages selection, motivation, development and evaluation of staff.
- Implementation management, ensuring consistency with corporate strategy, consistency of process across projects and customer satisfaction with the products. Ability to meet deadlines and project expectations are critical.
- Provides analytical and technical solutions to difficult system/customer related problems.
- Develops and implements new processes to streamline workflow.
- Ensures “solution architecture” quality – balance of pragmatic, effective, & robust solutions to business problems
- Assists in establishing metrics that track and illustrate how improvement efforts contribute to business performance and report them accordingly
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Accounting, Engineering, Management Information Systems or Computer Science required. MBA preferred. Other experience will be considered, depending on relevance.
Minimum of 10+ years experience in operations and process management (or equivalent experience) with demonstrated abilities in problem-solving and team-projects. Minimum 2+ years management experience. Lean Six Sigma experience required. Lean Six Sigma Black Belt certification required; Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt certification strongly preferred; Lean Silver or Gold Certification preferred. Project management experience strongly recommended. PMP certification preferred. Knowledge of the utility and/or the deregulated energy industry is preferred.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Able to work effectively and build relationships with people at all levels. Must be able to motivate team members and be able to coordinate cross functional processes and others not under his/her direct supervision
- Able to work effectively both independently and with teams. Excellent problem solving skills and able to use good judgment to make recommendations and decisions
- Must demonstrate attention to detail, grasp of the big picture and be highly analytical
- Must have strong structured thinking skills and technical aptitude
- Effectively communicates with executive management, other employees and external customers both verbally and through presentations and other written documents
- Strong work ethic
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to establish new processes and systems
- Responsive and flexible
- Strong project management and organization skills - delivers to milestone dates, manages resources effectively, and can juggle multiple activities at once to accomplish goals
- Ability to think strategically
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities
- Excellent personal computer skills within a Windows environment including spreadsheets, presentations, databases, and word processing
- Knowledge of statistical analysis (including time-series, sampling, probability, regression, linear programming, and forecasting
- Fast paced open office environment.
- Some overtime required.
- Some travel required.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant’s experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Nearest Major Market: Houston