Sr. Mechanical Engineer Job
Date: Mar 8, 2014
Location Canonsburg, PA, US
Req ID: 2013-12545
Location Name: NRG Southpointe
Type: Full-Time Salary
# Openings: 1
Details About this Career Opportunity:
This position would require an advanced level in understanding Boiler Feed Pumps & other BOP equipment including Fans and their operation. Responsibilities would involve and include solving BFPs and other BOP equipment problems, troubleshooting operational issues, providing engineering recommendations to Operations and Maintenance. This position requires the use and interpretation of industry standards and their application. This person must be a self-starter, have the ability to work and make decisions independently on technical issues and problems, and have strong verbal and written communication skills. Directs, coordinates, and reviews the work of a small group of professionals.
- Development of technical specifications for new purchases for equipment replacement, standards and procedures
- Develop detailed work scopes to be performed during a planned or forced outage. Develop, coordinate, and direct important project and engineering assignments, and Prepare written reports
- Utilization of best practices and knowledge of the business and technical systems to improve production and services.
- Prepare written reports and recommendations detailing problem or issue, inspection findings, dispositions, and resolution actions.
- Manages NRG’s comprehensive reliability and unit performance program that includes;
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA) Program: Plant engineers are called upon to complete investigations into failures, limits on unit capacity, etc., in support of this program.
- Condition Assessment: Plant engineers provide monitoring support to identify potential projects and improvements for operating systems and equipment.
- Performance Testing: Routine testing of plant equipment, interpretation of collected data and development of recommendations for repair/enhancements.
- Recommend and implement solutions to complex problems involving engineering, design, operation, and maintenance of power plant boilers and provide technical expertise to others
- Provide technical support to plant engineering, operations and maintenance activities, and direct Plant Specialists & Contractors.
- Provide work direction, training and technical guidance in the area of BFP and other pump operations.
- Keep track of issues in the fleet and proactively plan short term and long term solutions based on field inspections, equipment walk downs
- Support, monitor and emphasize the importance of safety and environmental programs.
- Coordinate activities with Vendors/Contractors and outside support groups.
- Provide assistance to the training department when training programs are developed in associated area of expertise.
- Provide technical input on due diligence efforts and new projects a they arise
- Participate in the applicable internal and external user groups and implement industry best practices to the fleet as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline with 10+ years of job-related experience in fossil fired power plants
- Advanced knowledge of operation, maintenance and repair at Utility Generating Stations and related components, and experience with industry standards and their application
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in computer applications applicable to specific work field/discipline
- Ability to give presentations, manage multiple projects, train and mentor others
- Communicate effectively with peers and senior leadership both within and outside the company
- Advanced experience with BFPs, Heaters, and other major BOP equipment, such as fans, BCWPs etc.
- Broad range of working knowledge pertaining to power generation component assessment and related industry standards and their applications.
- Ability to provide technical support for equipment testing, inspection, repair and development / implementation of technical solutions of in-service power generation components
- Good understanding of work planning and scheduling.
- Ability to coordinate and manage major projects.
- Detailed knowledge of Pumps and power plant systems.
- Ability to understand and interpret drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply applicable industry and corporate codes and standards.
- Ability to organize and interpret data colleted in the plant and to make recommendations based on the findings.
- Ability to use standard business software to produce spreadsheets and reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other personnel.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional working relationship with others.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to read and follow written corporate policies and procedures.
- Committed to the OSHA VPP Guidelines. Takes responsibility for personal safety and safety of others.
- Normal office environment and/or out of doors work environment. This could include working at heights, high/low ambient temperatures, and high humidity areas.
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle and valid Driver’s License.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect and/or collect data on plant equipment.
- Work overtime and non-standard hours as required.
- Use of PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment), which may include safety glasses, hard hat, protective footwear, ear plugs, safety harness, respirator, etc.
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals.
- Operation of a personal computer.
- May require lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to support scheduled and forced outages working 12-14 hour shifts
- Business related travel - approximately 40% travel to NRG and vendor facilities.
Nearest Major Market: Pittsburgh